Wednesday, May 6, 2009

make a flower card for mom



Nothing says Happy Mother's Day like a flower, right? That's what I'm going with anyway. I guess I just love flowers. If you'd like to make a similar card for your mom, download the flower template here.


Here's what you do:

Cut an 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock in half so you have two 8.5 x 5.5 in. pieces. Score and fold each piece in half and you now have two 4.25 x 5.5 in. blank cards ready for flowers. This size card fits in a standard invitation sized envelope, available at your local office supply or humongous-everything-store. I get mine at Target or Wal-mart.

Cut a piece of grosgrain ribbon for the stem and glue it down to the center of the card, putting the top end behind where the flower will be, and letting the bottom end hang off for trimming.

Before the glue dries, cut two leaves out of fabric or paper. Glue them on, tucking the ends under the ribbon. After the glue dries, trim the ribbon flush with the edge of the card.


Use the template to cut out flowers from fabric or paper or both. Any colorful combo works. Use a one-inch flower or starburst punch to make the middle piece. Add a button on top and maybe some sequins for sparkle.

You can skip the card part and just make mom a brooch from a fabric or felt flower, gluing two leaves behind the flower and adding a safety pin or a brooch fastener.

Send it to a mom you know and brighten their day. See y'all next week.

P.S. In a transparent bid to win some of my favorite fabric, 2D Zoo in Pool, I'm including a link to a great fabric (and pattern) giveaway by Candice at Daffodil Hill Too. Be sure to enter by May 12. She has a sweet fabric shop on etsy too, if you are interested in beefing up your stash.

29 comments:

  1. Very cute! Now if I can just teach my children how to do it so I can get one Sunday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of that and I have some papers that will look great on that card when I make it for me and sign the kids names..
    :-) My dearest love is taking me to breakfast Saturday and then IKEA to pick out what I want for Mother's Day. How cool is he?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! The fabric is so bright and pretty and the addition of the sequins gives it that extra special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is such a lovely card and so simple! I like that I can use whatever scrap fabric and paper to make a pretty card. The template is sweet too. I blogged about this posting here. Hope it is ok I used your photo though.

    http://gracehester.typepad.com/weblog/2009/05/free-flower-card-template-at-mm.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Lovely blog! and Nice to see another Believer-Artsy-Homeschool mama!

    Creative blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I wish all my craft supplies weren't packed! I hate moving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this! We're definitely going to try this one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, so pretty! I love it and I'll be linking. I also just noticed your Janeway quote above. LOVE that too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your blog and ideas are so so cute! thanks for the great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace and Rachel, thanks for the linkage and kind mentions.

    Rachel, love star trek. Also love firefly. Are you a browncoat too?

    Scrappinbethie, you are right he IS cool. Wish I was going for a shopping spree at Ikea. hmph. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larissa, this is so beautiful! So excited to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! They're two gifts in one because it would look so good behind a frame too. Thanks for the template!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the template. I'll squirrel it away for sure! Happy Mother's Day
    (how 'bout BSG? HAHA!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the template! I think I'm going to make a brooch wth it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sarah, I never got into BSG for some reason. I've been told it is really good, so I'll have to check it out. I will admit how old I am and say I used to avidly watch the original BSG every day after school and dream about being married to Apollo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, as always! I am getting quite a large folder on my computer of mmmcrafts goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. C'est absolument magnifique !!! J'adore

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like a real hit with all the moms on here. :) they are beautiful, as usual.
    Think I should make a cup cozy for Kevin? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute! I think I'll do a paper version for my Thank you's for my new baby girl. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial, have been making broaches for everyone using your great flower pattern. Thanks heaps, pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwannabcreative/3760370788/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanna be creative,
    you are so welcome! cute broaches!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutamente fantástico o seu site e todos as Criações aqui publicadas!
    os meus parabéns !
    Maria Lemos

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maria, welcome!
    Obrigada to you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love, love, love this! My girlies and I are so making these for grandmas this week!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Larrisa, this is so cute and pretty. I'm gonna make one and send to my mom who lives on the other side of the globe. :D thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is this template still available? The links are blank pages EXCEPT for this page & there is no template available. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Glenda X, yes the template is still there. Just checked the link and all is well. Maybe it's a browser issue for you?

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!